Saturday, May 17, 2014

We have arrived!


Hola!

We are now in Piura! I'll try to update here as much as possible but our internet only works in the staircase outside of our apartment. But I will have to do my best!

Our house is in the heart of the city so we hear the cars and mototaxis (so much fun) all day and all night.
View from my window (Mototaxi!)
 It is hot and humid here but cools off at night. When I flew in I was actually surprised by how much this area looks like Utah. It's a desert! But it's a really fun city and the locals are always really surprised to see a bunch of gringos walking around. People ask us if they can take pictures of us and little kids come and say "Hello!" and then run away. They're so cute! So far I can't really understand anyone, but I'm trying to memorize a few different words and phrases everyday. It's nice that Ben, one of our In-country Directors, is a Spanish teacher and Eliana, the other In-country Director, is Peruvian. I get a lot of Spanish lessons and practice and I'm starting to do better.



Taxi ride
Yesterday we met with two different organizations to talk about our upcoming projects. There is a lot of need in the Public Health area and a lot of positions that need to be filled. They are excited that we are here to help out. So first thing Monday morning I will be going to a health clinic and learning about some of the needs in the Piura region. One of my main goals for this trip is to find a health need in the area and develop a program that can meet that need. So I'm very excited to get started on Monday and see what I can do to help!


Saturdays and Sundays are our days off, so today we took a bus and a very cramped taxi ride to the beach to relax and play in the water. Basically, I just got really sunburnt. But we had a blast. I am so excited to work with this team for the next month!


Calon
All the Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment